How To Read Your Meter
Locating Your Meter Box
• For Residential Customers: In most cases, the water meter is located at the front of the property near the street under ground.
• For Commercial Customers: In most cases, the water meter is located at the front of the property, or could be located in the back or side of property under ground. In some cases depending on the size of the commercial property, the meter will be locked under ground in a large vault. In these cases, do not attempt to obtain a reading. Please contact NCWSA (770-385-3940) to obtain a reading of the meter.
• When looking at the water meter, locate the BLACK numbers on the LEFT side of the meter dial with the WHITE background. These numbers count the number of gallons of water that have passed through your meter.
Determining Your Water Usage
Use the following example to help read your meter:
• Select a day to take an initial water meter reading.
• Write down the numbers you see on the meter odometer. (ex. 0260000)
• After a period of time has passed (such as a day or week), read your meter again. (ex. new reading of 0263000)
• Subtract your first reading from the second reading. This is your water usage for that period. (ex. 0263000—0260000 = 3000)
• The 3000 figure indicates that 3,000 gallons of water have been used during the time period between the two readings.